Duders Pokemon League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Duders Pokemon League

a pokemon league for diamond and pearl

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2007-03-29

EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Empty
PostSubject: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 8:57 pm

If you like to train your EV's in the wild like I do, then these are some good places to go:

D/P
Hit Points : Wooper (1) Quagsire (2) Surfing on Route 212.
Attack : Gyarados (2) Seaking (2) Use Super Rod on Lake Valor.
Defense : Geodude (1) Hippopotas (1) Ruin Maniac Cave(Route 214).
Sp. Att: Golduck (2) Surf on Resort Area Pond.
Sp. Def : Tentacruel (2) Mantyke (1) Surfing on Route 223.
Speed : Golbat (2) Surfing in Victory Road.

Plat (Coming Soon) Very Happy
Hit Points :
Attack :
Defense :
Sp. Att:
Sp. Def :
Speed :

HG/SS (Coming Soon) Very Happy
Hit Points :
Attack :
Defense :
Sp. Att:
Sp. Def :
Speed :

B/W (Coming Soon) Very Happy
Hit Points :
Attack :
Defense :
Sp. Att:
Sp. Def :
Speed :

There will be very little, if any, running from undesired pokémon in these areas.

EV'ing In A Nutshell
(Newbies Welcome)Wink

For a quick break down on the points, if you are having trouble or are new to EV training:

Each pokémon in its "pre-trained" form has 510 EV points available to it, with a max of 255 in any one stat. (This means NO experience has been gained from fighting, be it direct or with an Exp. Share. Rare Candies or Day Care leveling are ok, as they don't give any EV's at all.) At level 100, 4 EV points are equal to a 1 point increase in that stat. That being the case, you should NEVER put more than 252 points into a single stat. The general layout for most trainers is 252/252/6. You may scoff at that 1 point you would be putting into a third stat, but the first time one of our pokémon hang on by one hit point, or are just one point faster than yours in combat and it costs you the match, you will think differently. Wink

Vitamins
HP Up: Raises base Hit Points.
Protein: Raises base Attack.
Iron: Raises base Defense.
Calcium: Raises base Special Attack.
Zinc: Raises base Special Defense.
Carbos: Raises base Speed.

The first step in EV'ing after you decide which stats to put your points into. Each vitamin is worth 10 EV points(they are not affected by any bonuses). You can only give your pokémon 10 of any particular vitamin, and it has to be the first 100 EV's or you won't be able to use them for that stat. So for your two stats of 252, give them 10 vitamins for that stat and you just saved yourself from having to kill 100 points worth of training time. Vitamins are bought on the second floor of the Veilstone Department Store for 9800 credits a piece. (Hell yeah, they are expensive but they save you so much time it isn't funny.)

Hold Items/Poké Virus

"Power" hold items, bought at Battle Tower, add 4 EV's to each kill for a specific stat and only that stat:
Power Weight: +4 Hit Point EV's
Power Bracer: +4 Attack EV's
Power Belt: +4 Defense EV's
Power Lens: +4 Special Attack EV's
Power Band: +4 Special Defense EV's
Power Anklet: +4 Speed EV's

Alternatively, you could use the Macho Brace hold item, which affects all 6 stats equally; but it only gives the base EV gain a 2x multiplier.

Regardless of hold item preference/availability, the Poké Virus has a 2x multiplier of it's own, stacking with the bonus gain from the hold item. (This virus is an extremely rare, naturally occurring, status already programmed into the game, not a hack of any sort. It has no negative components to it; it is only there to move the training along more quickly for those lucky enough to find it, or have friends who can pass it along to them. Smile)

Using "Power" item and virus:
(1 EV +4) x2 = 10 EV gained per kill.
(2 EV +4) x2 = 12 EV gained per kill.
(3 EV +4) x2 = 14 EV gained per kill.

Using Macho Brace and virus:
1 EV x2 x2 = 4 EV gained per kill.
2 EV x2 x2 = 8 EV gained per kill.
3 EV x2 x2 = 12 EV gained per kill.

If you plan on training a lot of pokémon, I suggest taking the time to get the "Power" items from the Battle Tower. If you need the virus, feel free to contact me via e-mail and we can set up a wi-fi trade to get you on your way to training in half the time. Smile

In case you were wondering if there is anyway to be sure that you do indeed have all 510 of these invisble points in place, the answer is yes there is. In Sunnyshore City, in the "Sunnyshore Market" behind the PokéMart, the woman at the left counter will check to see if the EV's for the lead pokémon in your party are maxed or not. Whether you did them right or not, well let's hope you were paying attention, but she will indeed give that pokémon an Effort Ribbon if it is fully EV'd.

Last edited by Xasroth on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
n00berson
Elite 4
n00berson

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2007-03-15

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Actually, they lowered the total EV count to 508, and the max you can put in one stat is 252. So I've been told and come to believe through my EV training.
Back to top Go down
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 10:27 pm

I don't know about the number changes, and the amount into wouldn't affect my count either since I control what goes where, but I have been looking for over an hour now trying to find something talking about what you are saying and I have nothing. Where did you read about that?

I have an idea of how to test it though, but it won't be until tonight, and that's if I get my next guy hatched or not.
Back to top Go down
n00berson
Elite 4
n00berson

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 7:34 am

I believe Steve told me 'bout it a while a go. It kind of makes sense, so that way you can put 252 into two stats, and only have to put 4 EVs into the last stat, so it's even and there aren't any left over EVs.
Back to top Go down
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 4:39 pm

I understand the why about the possible change, but the faqs on the 20plus sites I have checked say otherwise. I will test it out though.
Back to top Go down
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 12:14 am

I am really busy with a lot of stuff atm and have yet to make another guy, since Primeape. Until I do, the only thing I can say about the number actually making more sense for it to be 255, is because that would be a full byte of information for that stat. A byte is 8 bits, and a byte that has 8 bits in the on position would have a binary representation of 11111111, or 255 in more conventional terms. This is why it was 255 in the first place. I understand what you are saying in terms of making it "cleaner", and I am still going to test it, but with a basic understanding of the information system, it isn't necessary for the change to take place.

Anyways, I am really tired, so it is bed with me. I want to make a new guy, but Etrian Odyssey is a surprisingly huge time sink for a game boy rpg title; it probably won't happen until I beat it.
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-04-08

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 am

So i tested it again today and only used 252/4/252 before i tested to see if i was done and i was so i guessed they fixed it, which also means i need to go back and fix a few guys who i gave 6 to before finishing off the 252s
Back to top Go down
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:42 pm

ok, so i did test out this thing that you guys put forth, and they didnt change anything....it is the same as it always has been.

split ev a guy. 252/252, no other stat just to check. no ribbon. throw it random other stat vitamin...ribbon; Reset. back at 252/252 so i went back and put those ev's in to make it 255/255 and....ribbon. no stats but the 2 had any ev's in them and effort ribbon achieved.

so idk what you did in your tests....but...yeah. /shrug Smile
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2007-04-10

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 6:00 pm

i just know when i do 252, 252, and 4 i don't get a ribbon until i put 2 more in
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Unless I'm adding wrong I've done a few guys with 252/252 and then 4 and then vitamin and it says no effect
Back to top Go down
n00berson
Elite 4
n00berson

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 8:04 am

I just got finished training a new guy, put in 252/252 and just 4, then went and checked with the ribbon lady, and she gave it a ribbon. So it seems to be fixed for me. /shrug
Back to top Go down
Xasroth
Elite 4
Xasroth

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 8:43 pm

sigh...i will do it again when i ev the next guy but i just did another one after charizard and got the same result. if you are about to finish eving a guy, save the game before you give it that last free point. go back and get one more kill for the two stats you finished already and go see the ribbon lady. the problem here is we all do this just a little differently, so we need a control. i am also willing to do w/e you are doing, if it is different than what i posted, tell me what it is. in the end idc if we all do this differently, i just want this little mechanic to be ironed out so that we are telling the new guys the same shit across the board.
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 pm

i evd two guys in the past week

252, 252, 4

didn't work on either one of them until i gave them

252, 252, 6.

then i got the ribbon
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 am

Was just ev'ing a guy. Gave 10 HP ups and 10 Zincs. Virused it and fought a Gyarados. Put on the HP power item and fought 15 bidhoofs, took it off and killed one more. Put on the SP D item and fought 2 mantykes and 11 tentacruels. So by my math its 4 Att, 252 HP and 252 SP D and I passed the vitamin test and got the effort ribbon. So I'm pretty sure they've dropped the ev's to 508. If my math is wrong there let me know.
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 am

its wrong. i'm 'pretty sure it will just finish whatever it has left. the last 3 guys i trained this week all had 252, 252, and 6. i would check every battle after the 504 and not until i get to 510 i wouldn't get the ribbon
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 am

Next guy you ev, record everything you kill so we can check your math including items and vitamins so we can finally end this debate, but I wrote down everything I killed just to check for certain and I posted what I got.
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:27 am

mines a little more accurate since i'm not using a vitamin at the end to check. i start checking once i finish off 504 ev's
Back to top Go down
mew_bolt

mew_bolt

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-03-22

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 pm

wow i didn't even realize this debate was still going, as far as i know(personal experience and the major pokemon sites) a pokemon can receive a total of 510 EV points. Serebii, Pojo, Smogon, Marriland all agree that 510 is the total, but don't always include the last 2 ev points in their calcs and ev spreads because they really don't effect anything besides whether or not you can get the effort ribon.
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:42 pm

i think the vitamin test is why you think its not 510
Back to top Go down
mew_bolt

mew_bolt

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-03-22

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:12 am

vitamin test?
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 am

if you have any ev's left you can use a vitamin to finish them off. like if you put 504 into a stat, you can use a vitamin in another stat to max them out
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 5:30 am

I got the ribbon before I did the vitamin test on that guy
Back to top Go down
Spiketastic
Elite 4
Spiketastic

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 5:31 am

And the vitamin test is saving then seeing if when you use a vitamin on a stat you didn't ev, it says 'it won't have any effect' meaning there are no more ev's left to place on this guy
Back to top Go down
n00berson
Elite 4
n00berson

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 6:27 am

No wonder Xas' cow destroyed your team Jeff, you've been training wrong the whole time.

lol!
Back to top Go down
trainerjesus
Elite 4
trainerjesus

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 am

it was a fluffy team, i would want to go full force after a few months off on him. and i train the right way
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)   EV Training (Quick Reference Guide) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EV Training (Quick Reference Guide)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Duders Pokemon League :: Duders Pokemon League :: Knowledge Base-
Jump to: